Sunday, September 12, 2010

Set up and ready to go!

The first week's homework is now finished and out of the way.  If I've done everything correctly, this means that my environment is ready to roll...and so am I.

For the most part, everything went pretty smoothly.  I already had up-to-date versions of the JDK and Eclipse, of course.  I already had the KGPJ sample code as well.  (I've loved this book for awhile and have referred to it several times.)  Downloading and installing Java 3D was no problem, and the Perforce installation was fast and smooth as well.

I couldn't figure out where to get HelloUniverse, so I Googled it, found a couple of different versions, and took the most recent one.  Compiling it caused a few problems with Java 3D features being unavailable due to restrictions, but that was fixed by telling Eclipse to ignore those issues.  Then the code compiled and ran just fine.

The only other issue I had was with Perforce "forgetting" that I have a workspace associated with my connection.  The issue hasn't happened since the second time I fixed it, so maybe this time it will stay fixed.  If it doesn't, at least I know what to do now.

1 comment: