Saturday, September 11, 2010

Getting Started in SE456

This blog will be devoted to my work in SE456:  Architecture of Computer Games.  Software architecture, especially when applied to game development, has always been one of my very favorite topics, and I am eagerly looking forward to getting into some serious game-making action.  What's even more exciting is that the class uses Java, which is without a doubt the very best game development technology yet devised.  (I will fight to the death defending my reasons for using it to develop my MHFramework API.)

My only concern is about the amount of time I can devote to the class.  My work load is especially heavy right now, and won't lighten up until this class is nearly over.  Nevertheless, I am excited and eager to work on some great new games, and will do my best to give them all the time and attention I possibly can.

This is gonna be fun!

2 comments:

  1. I was worried about the work load as well, so that's why I babied and nursed the space invaders game across so many weeks. It could really be done in one extremely long week, but to _REALLY_ understand each component and to systematically build the game, I thought was a better trade-off that a break neck pace.
    Be gentle to me, I'm a noob in Java. I've programmed C++ for almost 20yrs. Chime in and correct me when I make Java mistakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly agree with your decision to spread it out! I'm teaching three classes right now (two of them being very large), am involved in mandatory extracurricular things, and have another project going on the side. I have a lot to juggle.

    I'll happily share my Java experience anytime you'd like. I've used it almost exclusively for the last ten years. Before that, I too was a die-hard C++ guy, but I kept getting frustrated by so many things in that language. Then Java came along with all the things I loved about C++, but with none of the things I hated about it. It didn't take long to realize that Java was all the things that I wished C++ could have been. I even wrote a song about the fact.

    ReplyDelete